Thursday, February 23, 2006

San Rafael Swell

It didn't take me long to realize I wasn't going to be able to write one blog about our camping trip and keep it short enough for people to enjoy reading. So, here's blog #2. By far the bulk of our trip was the three-and-a half hour hike around the San Rafael Swell. This was yet another part of the trip I had no idea what to expect, but Joe seemed excited so we were all excited. The San Rafael Swell is a nine mile loop through two canyons. The first canyon we went through (Bell) was extremely tall rock formations. There would be an occasional tree growing out of the side of a mountain, and boulders so big we couldn't figure out why they weren't rolling down on top of us. We had several encounters with icy puddles or tall rocks we had to find a way over or around. Joe had no problem finding his way around with his spider legs he would just crawl up the walls, but Kathryn and I had a bit more difficulty. Kathryn's foot took a trip in a puddle leaving her a wet shoe to hike in the rest of the day, and my foot found a hidden ice patch introducing my bum to the cold ground. Other than that the trip continued without incident. On the back side of the loop there's a stretch that is just an ATV trail. You basically walk half the loop on a dirt road, in our case it was also uphill. I must admit, as absolutely gorgeous as this area was I was still mildly disappointed. After an intensely cool beginning, the uphill trudge was quite miserable. I feel bad that I didn't appreciate the beauty around me, but I was busy gasping for air. Lucky for me the hike leveled out and shortly thereafter we entered into Wild Horse Canyon. This place was WAY better than Bell Canyon. The rocks were these curving, rolling, pink stones. They wound back and forth so that at times you couldn't see the person in front of you but you could hear every sound as it echoed against the walls. Nine miles later we were back where we started, and extremely hungry. Overall a great hike. We got a lot of exercise, took a lot of pictures, and made some unforgettable memories. Sorry about the bird Kathryn.

7 comments:

Jill said...

What a great opportunity and so fun that you could share it with Kathryn and Joe. You're a lucky .

Elizabeth said...

9 miles?!? I go to the gym every day and I'm not sure I could do a 9 mile hike. You guys are brave! The pictures are amazing. It looks like an incredible experience for all of you.

So what's the story with the bird?

jenn said...

Is there a way to do the canyons without the uphill ATV trail? Then I would be totally in for the hike! :)

Micah said...

The bird... a story for a later post. I'll have to tell you about our tent then as well. Good times!

Micah said...

We all decided if we were to do the hike again we would do the first two miles of Bell canyon, hike back through it, do the two miles of Wild Horse Canyon, and hike back again. That way all your play time is in the canyons without the dirt road experience. If you wanted to attempt the whole loop, just do it backwards from the way we did and you'll be going downhill on the dirt road. I'LL GO AGAIN WITH YOU!

Elizabeth said...

Okay, I'm still waiting for the bird story.

georgia-mom said...

I don't know how you knew where to go, but it looks too cool!