Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Super Spouse

This past Sunday my husband and I opted to bypass our typical Gospel Doctrine class and attend Marriage and Family Relations instead. Interestingly enough we were asked to pair with another couple in the class and each person was given 60 seconds to rave about their spouse. Everything was said and done completely on the spot. Initially I was just trying to rack my brain for what I could possibly say for a full minute. (I talk pretty fast!) Micah actually got to talk about me first, and I found myself 1) embarrassed to be complimented so publicly and 2) surprised at what means so much to him, things I don't think twice about. FYI: I had no problem coming up with an equally embarrassing brag monologue. The lesson continued with steps to take to ensure you have a strong healthy relationship with your partner. (Sounds like couple's therapy, huh?) There were many interesting things brought up and discussed in this setting, but I want this blog to focus on our challenge from the teacher. We were each asked to take time this week and think about what it is that we appreciate about our respective spouses and to share that, both with them and others. So, here I am. I'm going to tell you what I love about my husband and his acts of kindness that I always appreciate, even if I usually choose to do so silently. It's extremely likely I married the sweetest man alive. Micah is not the buy me flowers, give me gifts, box of chocolates kind of guy. This is good because I’m not really that kind of girl. He is a do the dishes kind of sweet. Every time, without being asked, I find him in the kitchen washing dishes. We don't have a dishwasher so it is especially sweet of him to do all by hand. He also sees value in giving me the night off and sharing cooking time. If ever I'm out late, or just not in the mood, he jumps in and takes over dinner duty. He wouldn't want to go hungry, and neither would I. Micah tells me he loves me everyday. He tells me I'm beautiful, even when I'm not. He never badgers or offends, but isn't afraid to stand up for what he wants. We have our intimate moments where discussion is open to any avenue and without fail he asks, "What can I do for you? How can I be better?" Even if I have nothing to offer it is good to know he thinks about it. I see him make the changes I offer him. He puts forth all his efforts to make sure I am happy and all is well in the world of Angela. Perhaps my favorite thing about my husband is the way he treats the people around him. His actions are an example to me and nothing brings greater bragging rights than that. I remember a time we were dating and we chose to eat out at Olive Garden. When we arrived a less than attractive looking man approached us for food money. I felt threatened and retreated behind a row of cars leaving Micah to face the man himself. I'll never forget his response. He walked right up to the man and engaged in conversation. He invited him in to the restaurant to eat with us and have a good-sized meal. When the man refused Micah's kind gesture due to his inadequate dress appearance Micah offered to run a buy him a pizza before we continued on with our date. The man still refused and eventually went away, but I remember being amazed at this instantaneous acceptance and abundant desire to help in any way he could. I feel equally amazed when I see him interact with my nieces and nephews (pictured above). He loves them so deeply and did so immediately. I tend to find children who are not related to me loud, obnoxious and clingy. Micah, however, talks to them, plays with them, and appreciates them as the (little) people they are. He has a gift of recognizing people for their true personality and potential and is open to connecting with and understanding them beyond the typical shallow tendency. In short, my husband is amazing. I'm lucky to have him. "I do not claim to have a better marriage than anyone, but I do claim to be married to a great companion." - James E. Faust said it but I would have if I could have said it so well.

4 comments:

georgia-mom said...

Micah is more than a "real" person (a high compliment), he's a real and good person. You are very blessed to have him, and lucky he speaks your love language. But then, you are pretty amazing yourself. I see a life of bliss for you two, as love thrives in goodness and unselfishness. Thanks for sharing. I love you both!

Elizabeth said...

I'm so glad you blogged about this. It makes me happy to hear all about how wonderful your husband is. You deserved a great one. I'm glad you found one. :)

Jill said...

You're a lucky Angela. I knew this already from my photo sessions with you two for your engagement and wedding photos. You two are a darling couple and compliment each other perfectly. I'm glad you shared this post because it's a great reminder for the rest of us. I think I will go write down a minute long compliment about my husband just for the good of it.

jenn said...

It is SO true- you got a good one! And he really does treat my kids with love and interest- I have always appreciated that about Micah! Love you BOTH!