Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Do you have holiday spirit?

I know each of us has heard a story (likely more than one) about how a simple hello brightened someone’s day. We have all attended Relief Society, so of course we have heard that story. And yet, hearing that story never seems to help brighten my mood! However, if you keep reading, I have a story that is sure to make you smile (although maybe just on the inside).

I was driving home from work this evening in a less-than-stellar mood. I was scheduled to work until 5 pm and it was after 8 pm by the time I was headed to my car. I knew I wasn’t going to see much of Micah today because he has an insanely busy last week of school. Right now he is at Nathan’s editing a final project for his film class. Also, while driving home I could hardly see the cars in front of me because the salt and snow have made my windshield grimy. I would have used my wiper fluid to rinse it off, unfortunately that is the one thing that was damaged in my car accident that has yet to be replaced.

So, I am driving down University Avenue and I hear a loud “HELLO!” out my window. I immediately put on my scowl and look over at the car next to me. (In my defense, I live in a college town, and when someone is yelling for your attention they are usually preparing to moon you!)

There, to my surprise, was a red-faced young girl with brown pigtails, a snow cap, mittens, a scarf, and a ski coat leaning out the back of a large suburban beaming at me. When I finally cracked a smile she yelled, “Merry Christmas!” On the other side of her was a younger sibling, in similar attire, showing me her two missing teeth. I smiled to myself the rest of the way home.

For those of you who live near me, you know I am not feeling the holiday spirit this year. I totally want my house decorated, but refuse to do my Christmas shopping or be of good cheer. These two little girls totally put things into perspective for me. Do you remember what it was like to just be giddy the entire holiday season?

I don’t know that I really have a point… except this:

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

And a very Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a fun experience for you! I too miss those days when the entire holiday season was all excited anticipation. I'm glad those girls were able to give you a glimpse. I hope you're able to find a little Christmas spirit. I wish I could be there to celebrate with you. I'd even help with your shopping. :) Love you!

jenn said...

wish I could give you a little holiday cheer- I have felt crazy and stressed the last couple weeks but am almost done with my shopping and now very excited to enjoy the holiday with you and the family!

Thanks for coming to Kate's choir performance- it meant a LOT to her, and me!!

We LOVE you, you grumpy old scrooge! :)