Sunday, October 05, 2008

Manhattan Tour 9-30-08

As I mentioned in my previous post, Greg & Kathy are now in town. Like us, they didn't have any set plans other than the wedding events. They lived in New York for several years, so they offered to show us around the city. We hopped in their car and took a drive. They are staying in Brooklyn as well, so we first crossed the Brooklyn Bridge over the East River. Sorry, we didn't have our camera out. That view we took in through our eyes, not the lens of a camera. We hopped on the FDR and went up the east side of Manhattan and passed through East Village, East Midtown, Upper East Side, and Harlem. Then we stopped for lunch at a fantastic Italian Restaurant in Columbia. Kathy & Greg do not take pictures, so you'll just have to trust me. Since we were in the neighborhood, Kathy & Greg offered to wait while we took a tour of The Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine. According to Greg, this cathedral is permanently under construction. The final structure will be a cross but only the long center piece is completed. They had a fire about a decade ago which set back the already slow process. The cathedral was surprisingly HUGE considering it is in the middle of the city. It is a beautiful structure with enormous stained glass windows. Micah and I were glad to have the opportunity to spend some time walking around. There is a huge garden on the side which houses three white peacocks. Also, there is a large fountain symbolizing the triumph of good over evil. Micah enjoyed mimicking "evil." After lunch we drove around Central Park and headed down the west side of Manhattan. We went through Upper West Side, Hell's Kitchen, and Chelsea. We stopped in the West Village, where Kathy & Greg lived when they attended NYU. Micah and I did our first bit of shopping at the street vendors on St. Mark's Place. It could have been an excellent shopping opportunity. Unfortunately, we hadn't stopped in any other shops to get an idea of what people were charging. For that reason, we were hesistant to buy anything because neither of us like to get ripped off. That being said, here are some of our purchases: Oddly enough, the "I (heart) NY" shirts are not for Micah and I. We both had co-workers specially request we pick them up. The beanie and the fingerless gloves are both for Micah. Maybe I'll buy something for myself later. If you want us to pick up something for you, let me know and we'll try our best. After shopping, we met up with Martin and Mim to move that last of Mim's stuff out of her apartment. Then we went to meet Mim's parents who just flew into town for the wedding. After a long talk Kathy, Greg, Martin, Micah and I hit up Westway Diner for some dinner. Then we called it a night. Next post: On Our Own. Micah and I will venture out into the city without any guides.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Looks like you guys are having fun! I'm so jealous you saw hell's kitchen. We didn't do enough research b4 we went and therefore only saw the big tourist spots...
I totally recommend Ellis Island - it's cooler than you think, and if you can remember some relatives or call up someone who does it's awesome to find their name on the wall!