Thursday, November 13, 2008

HAPPY HALLOWEEN

I have this one sister who shall remain nameless (but it isn't Kathryn or Elizabeth) who never fails to take pictures at every gathering.  Perhaps it is because of her blog - because what is a post without photos? - or perhaps for her scrapbooks. Whatever the reason, it is due to this one sister that so much of my first three years of marriage are documented on film.  Unfortunately, this sister is no longer dependable for SHARING the pictures either on disc or online. I feel it is time to take matters into my own hands.  I am going to tell you about our annual Halloween party!
My family members here in Utah are blessed to have a sister who coordinates, supplies, and hosts events for all of us to get together around the holidays.  For the past 3 years now we all have gotten together a night or two before Halloween to CARVE PUMPKINS!  Here are most of our accomplishments from Halloween Party 2008.  (Compliments are welcome because we know we ROCK!)
Skull w/ Web - Ben & Soren; Charlie Brown - Kelly; Headless Horseman - Kate & Ethan; Spider - Angela & Megan
Trick or Treat - David; Witch - Kristy; Pumpkin - Micah; Bat - Jenn; Coffins - Melissa & Emily
I believe there are FOUR notable contributions this year:
(1) All the kids pick an adult helper to assist in the pumpkin carving contest.  This year, Ethan chose KATE as his helper.  She is growing up so fast  She's already assisting in pumpkin carving and she picked a tough template! WAY TO GO, KATE!
(2) I had the honor of being Megan's helper.  This year, for the first time ever, I did not carve the pumpkin at all.  I gave Megan tips and held the pumpkin in place for her, but the results are all her own efforts. WAY TO GO, MEGAN!
(3) Most of us pick a template from a book and quickly get to work, anxious for the finished product.  Micah, however has a different approach.  He designs his own template, often not even  starting to carve until the rest of us are nearly finished.  This year his designs include the frightening (candy axe) and the ironic (pumpkin). WAY TO GO, MICAH!
(4) JENNIFER CARVED A PUMPKIN!!! I believe this is the first year she has taken a break from her hostess duties and joined in on the fun.  Isn't her bat cool? She even altered, albeit slightly, from the template in the book. WAY TO GO, JENN!
After a night full of soup in bread bowls, veggies with artichoke dip, a cauldron of candy, and multiple pumpkins carved, two UN-carved pumpkins were discovered.  Micah and I were elected to do the honors.  Here is Micah's frightening addition to the mix, and my over-excited contribution. Shortly after, the night ended.  Perhaps my sister will eventually fill in any gaps I may have missed.  HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

5 comments:

The Jacksons said...

Micah's second contribution is AWESOME! All of the others are amazing as well. I can't believe I miss all this good stuff every year.

Amy said...

wow those pumpkins look amazing! great job!

georgia-mom said...

I'm SO glad you posted about Halloween! I've been missing pictures and posts, and was dying to see the pumpkin-carving results. Good thing we don't have to judge them; they are all awesome. What fun, and how lucky you are to be together and have such generous hosts. Thanks for the report.

Lauren said...

Angela! How are you? I just found your blog on Lesli's, and I'm obsessed with the fact that you blog. Love your jack-o-lanterns!

jenn said...

Sounds like a great night! Too bad your sister is so unreliable about sharing pictures. I bet she's glad you are around to pick up the slack!