Summer movies releases make me happy. There are finally enough good movies out that Micah and I are able to go to the theater. Here's my thoughts on our most recent views:
Night at the Museum: Battle for the Smithsonian C-
This movie had some ridiculously funny parts that were considerably funnier than the first Night at the Museum. Unfortunately, there were only a few. Micah said it best, "I was laughing out loud or I wasn't laughing at all."
Overall, the movie was inconsistent. The acting, the pacing, the humor, were all inconsistent. The entire plot is laid out in the trailer, so don't expect any surprise. In short, I didn't enjoy it. About thirty minutes in I was already checking my phone clock to see how much longer I would have to endure the torture. If you must see this movie, see it in the cheap theater. Better yet, wait until you get a free redbox movie rental.
Terminator: Salvation B-
I know a lot of people, including Micah, who expected this movie to be grand.
Afterall, it is Terminator and has Christian Bale!
To those people, I say, "Did you watch the original Terminator movies?" Let's be honest, it isn't a great series as far as quality acting, strong plot, and great storytelling. This is an ACTION series. As such, Salvation is anACTION movie. Judge it accordingly. I know the film was advertised as Christian Bale portraying the iconic John Connor. In reality, this is a Sam Worthington film. What? You don't know who Sam Worthington is? Fine. Go watch Salvation. I was thrilled with his performance... equally if not more so than Christian Bale's performance. If you are a critic at heart (some of us can't help it) then you will recognize some serious pitfalls in this movie. There was a lot of storyline that could have been expanded and developed, but the writers seemed to cut themselves off at every turn. I don't really blame them. No one signs on to complete the Terminator series to introduce moral dilemma and internal struggle. If you sign on to do Terminator, you sign on to do action. This movie, like all the Terminators before, has great action sequences.
Up A-

I am not sure where to start. I LOVED THIS MOVIE! A cute (albeit grumpy) old man, a cute young kid, a cute little adventure. *sigh* What more could I ask for? This was so much more than a kid's movie. Up was made equally for adults, perhaps moreso. It is a character driven story with important lessons to learn. It was imaginative, fun, funny, scary, exciting, sad, and beautiful to watch. I can't wait to buy it on Blu-Ray.
DISCLAIMER TO THOSE WITH SMALL CHILDREN: I meant it when I said this movie was for adults. If your kids are really young, they probably won't enjoy it. Do not get confused by my disclaimer, there is NO inappropriate content. I am merely concerned that kids too young (under 5-ish) won't follow the story and may lose interest.
HAPPY MOVIE WATCHING. Until next time....
2 comments:
I recently saw Up too. I was so sad for much of the movie. Yeah, there were good parts, but so much of it was so sad I had a hard time enjoying the happy parts. The triumphs seemed less triumphal because I was still dealing with the sadness of the sad parts. I enjoyed it, but maybe I just wasn't in the right mood to enjoy it to the full extent. Maybe I'll give it another shot some time.
Are Harry Potter tickets on sale yet? We are all going together- right?!!!!
Post a Comment