Wednesday, June 03, 2009
Uneventful Dream
I don't usually post unless I have pictures to help with the storytelling. My story today is about the most uneventful dream in the history of dreams. I don't know about you, but I can't take pictures of my dreams, so I'm relying on my knowledge of the English language.
So, last night I had a LONG dream where nothing happened. Allow me to explain what I mean:
At the beginning of my dream it became apparent that I was going to become a swimmer. I was my usual self (white, female, age 24, etc.), but I was swimming with a ton of 13 and 14 year olds who were trying out for their high school swim team. I knew I wasn't a strong swimmer (true!), but I wanted to get better (also true!). Apparently, I decided to try out for the team as well in the hopes that good, wholesome competition would encourage me to improve. I swam multiple laps (in my dream). There were other people around me, but we didn't compete. There were coaches watching, but they never spoke. I tried swimming hard and fast. I tried treading water. I even tested how long I could hold my breath under the surface. Again, all in my dream. Nothing happened.
Then I found myself standing in Jenn's kitchen telling her about how nothing happened and that it seemed weird to me. She just smiled a knodded, so I began wandering around a strange house with people from various eras of my life just lounging around and having a grand old time. I think I was looking for something or someone because I never sat and never participated in a conversation, but I also never found what I was looking for. Like I said... nothing happened.
Finally, something happens! A woman arrives at the strange house to pick up a boy for a special program. I'm also on the list of people who have been accepted. I called my mom and begged (yes, my 24 year old self begged) to be able to attend the program. Secretly, I knew she couldn't afford it. She let me go anyway.
I arrived at a testing center. They told me the test was in three parts. I had a short flashback of standing in Jenn's kitchen again as she tells me there is a long and tedious test that I should take and that it is important for me to think about what truly makes me happy. They handed out the first part of the test and I opened the cover. The proctor giving the test told me I couldn't write. A room full of kids just sat and talked as the time passed because we couldn't write on the test. Part two: same thing. Part three: same thing. SURPRISE!!! There is a fourth part of the test. It is a culmination of the previous three parts of the test. Oh, but you can't write on the test. Again, many people sitting and talking as time passes on. The most annoying part was that my dream included those punk teenage boys who are fairly good looking so they insist on flirting with the proctor, ignoring legitimate questions, controlling the conversation, and being obnoxious.
Finally, part four is complete. SURPRISE!!! There is a part five to this three-part exam. For the final portion (I PROMISE!), they hand out a single sheet of paper. The paper says to write (yes, WRITE) three paragraphs on something that makes you happy. In case you aren't sure what makes you happy, the paper gives some ideas. Elephants, cheesecake, TV shows, balloons, etc.
I don't know what else was on the list because I saw balloons and I immediately remembered watching Disney Pixar's Up and I pictured the house floating in the clear, blue because of balloons. Then I remembered the beloved book, Harvey Potter's Balloon Farm. I knew instantly that I needed to write about balloons and how happy they make me. I picked up my pen and then... I woke up!
I warned you in advance. This is a dream where NOTHING HAPPENS.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm sure there is some deep psychological meaning to it - one you probably don't want to know!
I love that you kept showing up in my kitchen!! You are always welcome there- even in your dreams!!
Post a Comment