Sunday, September 20, 2009

To buy or not to buy?

Some time ago I blogged about our disappointment with the Utah housing market.  There is a townhouse that Micah and I LOVE in Spanish Fork. 

November 2008 
  • We made an offer on the townhouse with the builder.
December 2008
  • The builder rejected our offer and basically insulted us.
  • A resident listed his townhouse for $11,000 less that what we had offered the builder, but it was a short sale.
  • We made an offer on the short sale property.
January 2009
  • The seller rejected our offer on the short sale property.
  • We made a higher offer on the short sale property.
  • The seller rejected our offer on the short sale property.  (This is not a typo.  We were rejected twice.)
  • The seller called us because the previous offer submitted to the bank for approval resicinded their offer.
  • We made the exact same offer we had made previously, which is still $5,000 less than what we offered to the builder in November.
February 2009 - Nothing
March 2009 - Nothing
April 2009
  •  We received the seller's disclosures for the property.  Then.... nothing.
May 2009 - Nothing

June 2009
  •  Our short sale offer is APPROVED!!!
July 2009
  • We reject our short sale approval, back out of the deal, and give up all hope of ever buying the beautiful townhouse.
September 2009
  • MLS currently shows an "invester liquidation" on the layout that we want at a price more than $25,000 less than what we offered back in November.
  • MLS lists a 2nd property with the same layout that is asking $41,000 less than our offer in November.
WHAT SHOULD WE DO??

4 comments:

The Jacksons said...

BUY IT!

le said...

I have house shopped many times, to make it one step farther through the process to feel "inspired" not to buy. Very frustrating at the time, but always grateful a few months later. Right now I'm so glad I didn't buy but I moved to the complex I currently live. That being said I have no idea when other people should buy. Coming from someone who use to live in springville, spanish fork is REALLY far south, from the hub of utah valley. I felt like it took an eternity to get from PG to Springville. Even though I now currently live farther away from PG.

jenn said...

I don't know if it is a secret that I don't want you to go south but I also know you love the townhouse and you NEED out of your old, little apartment so...

call Ben! (Wasn't that helpful!)

georgia-mom said...

You didn't feel you should buy it before, but it could have been a timing decision, not the place itself. Maybe Someone knew a better price would come along.
No one can decide but you two.