Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Word for 2009: Service

I never picked a word for 2009.  I wasn't sure what I wanted to focus on (if anything) or what the theme of my life would be for the year 2009.  I know the year isn't over yet, but if i could go back and pick my word for 2009, my word would be service.

serv⋅ice [sur-vis] noun, adjective, verb, -iced, -ic⋅ing.
1. an act of helpful activity; help; aid: to do someone a service.

The theme of service actually began at work, oddly enough.  Last Christmas APX participated in Sub for Santa.  In fact, APX joined with the United Way and provided Christmas for every "Sub for Santa" family in Utah County.  Additionally, the provided Christmases for several dozen families in Idaho, Arizona and Canada.  The money was donated by APX employees and APX matched each donation dollar-for-dollar.  I don't remember the exact number, but it was easily six figures.  Then employees donated their time shopping for gifts, wrapping gifts, and delivering whole santa bags to families in need.

Although APX had done a handful of charitable events prior to Sub for Santa (i.e. sending a bus-load of employees to help clean up after Hurrican Ike), something about this event really struck me and greatly improved my morale at work.  Consequently, this year I have donated time, money, food and bodily fluids for charitable causes arranged by APX.

Here are some of the non-profit organizations I've donated to this year:




Now it is your turn.  Get out there and help someone!

2 comments:

maymey-Old said...

You have definitely done a lot of service this year. Congratulations!

jenn said...

No matter what you think about APX's sales techniques, you can't deny they do a LOT for the community! It has been fun to hear about all the good you have done and even more fun to join you at the concert for Kids On The Move- thanks for that!!