This is sad. Thinking of people I used to be close to makes me realize that I am a terrible friend. If I were willing to put a little more effort into a friendship, there would be many fewer names on the list of used tos. Perhaps the one that grieves me most is my friend Lesli. I tell myself that Lesli and I are still friends. I check her blog about once every other week. I even comment if/when I read her blog. That makes us friends, right? But, that isn't the question. The question is who you used to be close to... Lesli and I are not close anymore.
Despite living less than 5 miles apart, Lesli and I didn't start hanging out until my Sophomore year in high school, and we really bonded our Junior and Senior years. We attended all the stake dances together - even those in other stakes. We were in the same seminary class, which Lesli attended much more diligently than me. We went to Prom together. We endured Philmont together. We decorated our graduation caps together, then graduated together. We were born one day apart. We kissed the same boy (NOT at the same time). We laughed. We cried. We grew up.
Our separation began when we went to different colleges. Then Lesli went and got married. Then she went and had babies. Now it seems like we are in such different places in life. I'm the bread-winner and she is the SAHM. Even the things that connect us, separate us too. (i.e. We both just bought our first houses... in different states.) Ah, Lesli. What happened to us?
2 comments:
This WAS a sad prompt. I didn't like thinking about this one. I'm sorry for you and Lesli.
That makes me sad. I think we are still friends. Next time you drive to Texas, you'll have to stay the night for free room and board. We were in Utah last week visiting Brent's family and I thought about you. I thought want to call Angela, and see her new house. I didn't have your number, the same thing happened with another friend, except minus a house. It was a sad trip, because I didn't have any friend's phone numbers. Will you get this comment? I feel so loved that you read my blog.
Post a Comment