Tuesday, August 29, 2006
Driving, driving, driving...
I hate driving. I guess that is not an entirely true statement. I do find that driving alone in my car can be quite therapeutic, however, overall I don't enjoy much about sitting behind the wheel of a car. Proof: I didn't decide to get my license until shortly before my 18th birthday. The only reason for getting it then was due to minor prodding from my mother. Apparently the idea of getting up to drive me to seminary at 6 o'clock in the morning didn't appeal to her. It seems ever since I started driving legally I have been the designated driver for every excursion. Over the last several years I have learned to bear the time behind the wheel. That is, until this summer...
Micah and I started our summer with a home security sales company in Fremont, CA. We drove from school in Provo to Cali in one day. After two short weeks Micah learned he is not a salesman and we decided it was time to relocate. We then drove from Fremont straight through to McKinney, TX - nearly half the United States. I was hired right away with the family company I'd worked for in high school, Linda's Electric Quilters, and not a week later they offered a position to Micah as well. YAY! We were going to work together!!! As soon as Micah started working there was talk of him joining the owners in Wyoming to help them build a lodge. Sure enough, ten days later Micah was on the road. He drove NE to Kansas City and from there NW to Etna, WY (in Star Valley). He drove 2,000 miles in two days all by himself! This is where I get lucky. I bought a ticket and flew to SLC for my niece's baptism. Micah drove from Star Valley to Lehi to pick me up. Together we drove back to the lodge to begin work.
Three weeks after starting in Wyoming Micah's sister, Eliza, was going through the temple for the first time. Not wanting to miss this special occasion we drove back to McKinney, via Provo to pick up my brother Nathan, had 2-and-a-half days to vacation before we drove back again. Two weeks after that Eliza and Danny were getting married in Manti, UT, so we were in the car again driving down. Luckily we got to stay nearly five full days before turning around and driving back, but we still had to DRIVE back. Now, here I am in Texas and, you guessed it, we drove here from Wyoming the day before yesterday. We drove straight through 2:30pm MST to 1:20pm CST. Did I mention "I HATE DRIVING!"? Oh, and one more thing... school starts next Tuesday in Provo. That means two days from today Micah and I will load both of our cars and make one final drive north to Utah each in our own car without any relief drivers. Ugh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
With all that time on the road, how did you manage to do anything else this summer? Sheesh!
This has indeed been the summer of "traveling pants" for you. I'm glad some of your travels brought you to me. Thank goodness for books on tape.
Be safe in all your journeys in life, and enjoy the scenery!
Post a Comment