Monday, August 28, 2006

"Way to go, Angela!"

I work for a man not entirely unlike my father. With minimal instruction and even less involvement he demands maximum results. This is a particularly difficult situation since I am working construction which I have absolutely no experience doing. I am assigned tasks that I cannot begin to fathom how they might be completed, I cannot name 2/3 of the tools I am supposed to use, and the people I work with have as much experience as I do. (NONE!) This may sound like a difficult employer to work for, but add on top of that a knack for criticizing everything and an inability to give praise and you will begin to see it is nearly impossible. Over the last few weeks we have been laying tile on the main floor of the lodge. Sue and I picked it up pretty quick and have been working our way out of one room and into another. I have been put in charge of the saw. I have cut every shape and size imaginable for a tile; it's not always perfect, but I always give it my best. Last week, however, I was given a particularly challenging task. Two people working tile from opposite sides of the room had now met in the middle and our 16-inch tile had a 17-inch gap to fill. We were way off, and none of the previously laid tiles were going to budge to make up the space. So, my task is this: find two pieces of tile that look the same, cut them to fit together and fill the entire gap leaving enough space for a tiny grout joint to make sure both tiles are secure but still not visibly separate. DO WHAT?!?! I went out to my saw and examined my scrap pile, wiping each tile clean to see it's true color and comparing them to eachother to find the best match. All the while Rick is chiding me from inside the lodge. "Come on Angela! I'm not getting any younger." "So you think you can work miracles, do ya? Well, let's see it." "Is this even worth the time it's taking? Can it be done?" All his jeering just increased my determination to complete the task at hand. I asked for input from several people before nixing what all of them said and used two tiles of my own picking. I handed them to Rick and sheepishly left the room before he could criticize my tile choice, cutting ability, or anything else he was disappointed with... As a reached my tile saw outside I heard a faint yell with the distinct words, "Woohoo! Way to go, Angela!" Never had I received such praise, and never have I been so proud of my finished product. I wish I had gotten a picture, but alas I have now left my Wyoming home and forgot to snap my work of art. Maybe another day I can add a picture...

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Woohoo! Way to go, Angela!

You are an incredibly capable woman. Your work this summer can't have been easy, but from what I've heard, it sounds like you've done amazingly well. Can I be more like you when I grow up?

jenn said...

If anyone was going to do it, it was going to be you! You are amazing and I always think Woohoo, I love knowing Angela!!

If I don't make you meet in the middle of my room, will you help me lay tile?