Thursday, February 15, 2007

HAPPY HEART'S DAY Valentine's Day has never been a particularly exciting holiday for me. This year was no different. Micah told me he would bake something for me, if I was interested, and my gift to him would be to eat it (regardless of the outcome). I agreed and that was that. I was in class all morning, came home, took a 5 hour nap, and when I woke up Micah was sleeping. When he didn't get up until after 8 o'clock, I was sure that was the end of our Valentine's Day. We may watch a movie or do homework but then we would go to bed for the night. I can't brag and say it was much better than that, but my super thoughtful husband prepared some special treats without me knowing. I apologize now for the lack of pictures. My assumption of an uneventful Valentine's resulted in the absence of a camera. Anyway, Micah stopped by Papa Murphy's early in the day and picked up a heart-shaped pizza for dinner. He also picked up a bottle of Martinelli's Sparkling Cider, which he remembered to put in the fridge, and (as promised) he baked a crumb cake for dessert. His sweet gestures were highly appreciated by me. He even topped off the night by watching a chick flick with me. Hooray for "Return to Me!" I'm still not a huge fan of Valentine's Day. People should be ready and willing to show love year round, not just on one day because society mandates they do. However, the plain and simple gestures are still as sweet as ever, and I am totally grateful for my husband!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Sounds to me like Micah did some nice things! Normally I'd say Valentine's Day isn't my favorite either, but I know you read my blog on this year. :) Up until this year, what Micah did is about the same amount of effort I've gotten out of my husband for the last decade! And baking?!? That's just awesome. :)

jenn said...

Micah rocks!!

Thanks for the phone call- it made my day after spending the morning RUNNING around to do the craft for Emily's class. I love you too!

Anonymous said...

You are just toooooooooo cute. Just want to borrow your time for a minute to comment on Valentine's Day. I have always LOVED it, because, to me, it is just about love in general. Love for one another, for all of the great people in our lives. Some of us may not have a romantic love at this time in our lives, for one reason or another, but we are all blessed with wonderful people that help us along our journey. People like YOU! Whenever I think of you I smile. By the way, it sounds to me like Micah "gets it." Count your blessings. Lou always really did good for this special time too.

I feel about Mother's Day apparently somewhat similiar to your feelings about Feb. 14th, but that's another story.

Love you,
Julie

georgia-mom said...

So nice to hear about your day, and the sweet things Micah did.
I don't like contrived commercial expressions of love either, but I've learned to look at Valentine's Day as another reason to say I Love You in any way you want, even if that way is to say it another day.
I love you two Lovebirds.